Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Friends in Action. There are many volunteer opportunities. We suggest that you look at our calendar and see what activity fits best into your schedule. It’s great to have volunteers who like to come on a regular basis, but one-time volunteer opportunities are also available.
All Friends in Action activities were created for everyone to have a fun social experience. As volunteers, you are joining this experience. Come ready to interact with a group of teenagers and young adults who love to talk, dance, play basketball, play games, and hang out. Here are a few things to be aware of:
- Come and be yourself. Interact with everyone just as you would any other group. Join in on activities, start discussions, play some games, have some fun! Friends in Action serves people between 15 and 40 years old with developmental disabilities. Our participants are fun loving, open to mostly any activities, and love to make new friends.
- Personal information. Do not give out your phone number or email address. Participants might ask you for this and then the participant might call, text or email too often. Or you might not be able to meet their expectations and they will be disappointed. You can tell them that, as a volunteer, you are not allowed to give out that information.
- Commitment. Please come if you have made a commitment to an activity. The participants love having volunteers, so they are disappointed if you cancel. Our staff relies on volunteers as well. Things do come up, however. Please let us know if you need to cancel. A quick email to Heidi Chase at firstname.lastname@example.org or Amanda DeGiovanni at ADeGiovanni@friendsinactionnh.org would be appreciated.
- Dress code. Friends in Action activities are very casual. Casual attire is fine for all activities. Please stay away from any provocative clothing.
- You are a role model. Please do not discuss weekend parties and other questionable behavior with participants. Even though many are over 21, discussions around partying, drinking, etc. should be avoided.
- Weather cancellations. Friends in Action wants everyone to be safe, we follow WMUR news reports and make the safest decision for everyone. If Friends in Action dose choose to cancel, the website will be updated and emails will be sent out. Cancellation decisions can be hard, but we do not want our friends to be in a compromising situation. Friends in Action will cancel if it’s too hot to hold an activity or if the weather causes driving difficulties. Please check the calendar for cancellations and/or check email.
Interested in Volunteering?
If you are interested in volunteering for any activities or would like more information, please contact Heidi Chase or Amanda DeGiovanni Thanks for your interest!
- Heidi Chase at email@example.com or 603-812-6832
- Amanda Fawcett at ADeGiovanni@friendsinactionnh.org or 603-661-4196.
BASKETBALL – Mondays 2:30-4:00pm or Second/fourth Thursday of every month 3:40-5:00pm
Our participants love to play basketball. Some participants have been playing together for ten years. They are really good. You’ll be amazed at some of the great shooters we have. Wear comfortable clothing and good sneakers. Volunteers play basketball, keep score, and help with substituting players.
BOWLING – First and third Thursday of the month from 6:00-7:30pm at Bowl O Rama. Come join us for some great bowling. Volunteers help keep score, visit with participants and bowl if they would like. Cost to bowl is $7.50 per person.
DANCER-CIZE – Monday’s 2:30-4:00pm at Greenleaf Recreation Center as well as second/forth Thursday of every month 3:30-5:00pm. Off the wall non-structured dance class to get blood flowing and hearts racing. We use ribbon dancing, instruments, and hula hoops to create a fun and silly experience. If you like to be silly and dance, come join us. If you have any kind of dance background, come lead a class. Wear comfortable clothing. Volunteers can help participants with movements, keep everyone excited, think of new activities, and act silly. We do break for summer
FRIDAY NIGHT SOCIALS – Second and fourth Friday of the month from 6:30-8:30pm at Greenleaf Recreation Center. The Friday Night Social is Friends in Action’s biggest program. On any given Friday, there can be 60-80 people having a great time dancing, playing basketball, doing craft projects, playing games, eating pizza, and socializing. There is always a DJ who plays great music that gets everyone dancing. Volunteers can join in on any of the activities. They often will play board games with participants who like a break from the noise of the music or they can be found having a great time dancing.
MOVIE NIGHT – Second and fourth Tuesday night of the month. Second Tuesday will be held at Portsmouth Cinemagic, fourth Tuesday will be held in Epping at O’Neil Cinema . Come join the group to watch a great movie at the theater. Volunteers help with ticket and food purchases and enjoy the movie. Volunteers are expected to purchase their own movie ticket.
WILDCAT FRIENDS – Wednesdays from 3:00-7:00 at the University of New Hampshire. Wildcat Friends was created to give young adults with developmental disabilities a college experience. This unique program starts with lunch at Holloway, followed by a recreational activity and then class. Volunteers are asked to commit for the entire semester in order to participate. Volunteers help the group get from place to place and work with leaders to support activities. Volunteers may be assigned to one person who may need a little extra help during transitions and activities.